History

A Caring Heritage

Sprott House has been in existence since 1898, first established in Newtown as a home for girls.

We moved to Messines Road Karori in 1900 and became a home for the elderly in 1951.

In November 2000, the Sprott House Centenary History, One Hundred Years of Care, was published by Sprott House Trust. This is available from Sprott House for a nominal charge

YearEvent
1898 St Mary's Guild formed.
1899 "Sunnyside" home for girls opened at Owen Street, Newtown
1900 Karori property with a 14 room house at Messines Road purchased. Trust Deed & Constitution established creating an advisory board of Trustees separate from the Guild.
1915 Adjoining property and house named 'Duncan Cottage' was purchased taking total land at Messines Road to just under three acres. The house was used to accommodate small children.
1923 The property at Lancaster Street Karori was purchased with the assistance of an anonymous donor and the house used to accommodate school age girls. St Mary's Homes accommodated boys from 2 to 7 years old for the first time at Duncan Cottage.
1936 The Lancaster Street property sold.
1938 The first 'Edith Sprott House' opened at the Messines Road property to accommodate school age girls.
1951/52 Edith Sprott House is converted to a home for 18 elderly ladies
1958 The first set of Bishop Holland Villas was opened and was occupied by 12 spinster ladies.
1960 A second set of Bishop Holland Villas completed with accommodation for nine more spinster ladies.
1962 Duncan Cottage closed for the last time. After a series of closures it had been used as a Transit Home for mothers temporarily unable to care for their children.
1963 Trustees of St Mary's Guild changed their name to 'The St Mary's Anglican Homes Trust Board.
1966 Gordon Graham Gibbes-Watson donation of £30,000, the single largest in the history of the Homes, adds momentum to plans for further expansion in elderly care.
1969 Seven residents die in a fire that gutted Edith Sprott House.
1970 The new Edith Sprott House opened with accommodation for 38 elderly ladies.
1971 St Mary's Guild changes name to 'Sprott House Homes Incorporated'.
1976 The first male resident joined Sprott House.
1980 The south wing extension to Sprott House opened.
1989 A new constitution was established and Sprott House Homes Incorporated and the St Mary's Anglican Homes Trust Board are wound up with their assets transferred to 'Sprott House Trust'.
1997 The Stage III Special Care Unit for people with dementia was opened.
1998 The Continuing Care Hospital was opened.
2003 The refurbishment of Villas and extensive landscaping of surrounding grounds was undertaken.
2006 Work started on a further wing with ensuite facilities and was completed in 2010.

The Sprott Family

Thomas Henry Sprott became Anglican Bishop of Wellington in 1911. Throughout his career he was ably assisted by his wife, Edith, who took a particular interest in the work of the St Mary's Guild (see above). The home in Karori for schoolgirls, administered by the guild, was named after her in 1938. It is now Sprott House - a home for the elderly.

Click here to read more.